2018 CRIME REPORT. During a March Special Meeting, our Police Chief presented the 2018 Crime Report (scroll to Item #3), which showed that property crimes and violent crimes were down in 2018 compared to 2017.
POLICE DEPARTMENT HIRING. During the March meeting, I was pleased to hear Chief Greenwood describe recent actions taken by the police department to address the need to fill vacant positions. After hitting a low of 153 filled positions in May 2018, Chief Greenwood said the department was at 164 filled positions (in March 2019) with a goal of reaching 181.
A full-time recruitment team was established in fall 2018 to recruit for police officer, dispatcher, and community service officer positions. To date, the recruitment team has taken the following actions:
- Contracted with a professional recruitment firm
- Hired additional background investigators to increase hiring speed and capacity
- Accelerated interview hiring panels
- Visited police academies and recruited unaffiliated academy trainees
- Conducted ride-alongs and tours for officer and dispatcher prospects
- Expanded social media outreach and increased presence at job fairs and community events
In five months since its inception, the recruitment team had identified 100 prospects.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT. For updates from the Berkeley Police Department including opportunities to attend Coffee with a Cop, follow the department on Facebook HERE.